Getting rid of the belt - how to retro-fit a chain ?

Good day Googleg,

Ski vacation sounds nice to me, too! Even there might no chance to have this kind of vacation :wink:
Also, I am very happy to heard that you found your freewheel! And I hope you will find the chain in the shortest time, too!

Hum… I have to tell you that I was feel a little bit strange about the your last freewheel 13T one, because I think 16-18T may more common, maybe I am wrong? ( And, if it’s a common parts, it will be easier to get a back up one, this is what I am thinking about, you know stuffs sometimes will broken… :smiley: )

yes, you are right, it’s indeed smaller than current one, but I think it’s ok, no? :slight_smile:

Anyway, good luck! can’t wait to see the whole new Strida with chain system! ¡ánimo! :wink:

All right, back to my workshop in the basement…

I just fitted the chain, here is the result, does that look good ?

Well, … in fact it’s not good at all !! The crank chain ring is too small (42 teeth) and the chain is rubbing against the frame !

It’s just a matter of few milimeters, too bad :frowning:

SOoo, now, I have the choice between buying a larger ring (48 or even better 50 teeth) or completely replace the crank…

Stay tuned !

All right, here are the latest news:

I’ve managed to find a second hand 51 teeth chain ring to replace the one above (42t). I was delighted because the 51/17 ratio is exactly the same as the original ratio.

Guess what ! Still too small ! The chain is still rubbing against the frame. If a give it the maximum tension I can barely obtain a few millimeters of clearance.

Sooo, now I’ve decided to really really take something much much bigger: 56t ! With that it shouold be finally OK.

The huge drawback is that my gear ratio will skyrocket to 3.29. I’m a bit anxious to see how hard it is going to be for me to pedal with such ratio.

I’m attaching some pictures below:

No, it is not, 51/17 means a gear ratio of 3,00 - the original ratio is 3,33 (100/30).
56/17 means a ratio of 3,29, and that would be very close to the original ratio.

Gear ratios information about different models of Strida

You are totally correct, thank you :wink:

Now I feel better, because I may have some margin to even go with a bigger chainring if needed (58t or 60t)…

Very good :slight_smile:

60/18 would match the original ratio 100%.

Mission accomplished !

I would have preferred more clearance for the chain, but that would require me to change the chainring and the freewheel. Right now I have 56/17.

The chainring, 56T, from Stronglight:

The freewheel, 17T (mounted with the original washer taken from my plastic freewheel):

I really like how the bike looks:

Sorry for the bad quality of the picture, weather is not really good today in Geneva !

Now I’m going for a test drive !

Hi!

it looks very nice! please let us know how do you feel after the first ride. :smiley:

Well, I only did a quick ride today…

The first impression is very positive. It feels ‘lighter’ (although I doubt it really is, even if the chainring is lighter than the original, there is the extra weight of the chain). I would say mainly the feeling is to have a more ‘rigid’ frame, more responsive, which is what I was expecting.

So far, so good !

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: very good! and thanks for share your feeling, too!

Here is an other picture under a sunny sky…

Bike looks good.
When my belt starts to wear out I will probably do this conversion.
It has an ISO threading of 34.92mm?
Is the one you used for single speed road bikes or another type of BMX freewheel?
Can you tell us what brand/model freewheel you ended up using?

Yes the freewheel cog has an ISO threading. I don’t know the brand, it’s a bronze cog. Good luck and keep us posted ! :smiley:

@ttakata73:
Hope you saw this post, too:
Our new chainwheel set for strida 5.0

great post. I hope this month i will done something similar… or even more.

I want that 65T (or 60T) chainring from Five Big, and with a 16T freewheel I will have a ratio of 4.06 (or 3.75)

I will see how easy will be that ratio to manage. And after that putting above all the 3 speed schlumpf gear system, i think it will become the fastest Strida? (I will call it Zuper Strida)

I know this is old but @ttakata73
the freewheel is YIH Industris, Honk Kong, and it is a standard 35mm (or 34.92 more exactly) freewheel (more used on Trial bikes, the inner circle just to be clear of the freewheel is 35 mm)

Schlumpf has just 2 gears…

yes 2 speed. Sorry for that.

No prob; just to be sure that you didn’t mix up the Schlumpf with the actual Sturmey Archer 3 speed EVO drive (which isn’t compatible to the single/dual speed frames with the ~ 60 mm Ø bottom bracket.) :wink:

:slight_smile: I mixed them up :slight_smile: and of course I spent a few hours to check if it is possible to upgrade…

Hope it’s clear now :smiley:

Maybe you should consider an ATS drive, it’ll be much cheaper than a Schlumpf.

http://koreamtb.co.kr/shop/item.php?it_id=1503020956