Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

Strida Evo rider report - London, UK

The place to report and discuss your experiences of owning and riding the Strida. Perhaps your first impressions, or your story of a big trip.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

Re: Strida Evo rider report - London, UK

Postby Chester_Tan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:41 am

For twitchy steering, Although I'm already used to the steering, when I placed a bag on the front somehow the weight of the bag helps stabilize or dampens the twitchy steering.

I'm thinking of wrapping leg weights on the front tube or the handlebar stem as a damper.

But then again you'll get used to the Strida the more you ride it.
Chester_Tan

Postby chrisp on Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:11 am

I have just purchased an Evo whilst in Sydney (Oz). 18" wheels made this little beastie fly, but as these are not readily obtainable in NZ, have swapped out the wheels for the resin/aluminium ones.
I have now done a couple of return trips to work. My commute is about 8km, so not very long. The justification for the strida for me was the upright riding position, which I find more comfy than my Speciailized Expedition semi-cruiser(which has just appeared on trade me as a result). I would not have considered the Strida but for purchasing a 3.3 earlier this year, and loving it. The Evo is quite an evolution. When I place them side-by-side, the extra gusset reinforcing the steering head is the first obvious difference, then the beefed up seating mount, and of course the freewheel/gears. The Evo seems a little sudden in the braking after the drums, but I am getting to prefer it over the drums now, after only a few days. I have the bent bars, which is a real improvement for my legroom. So far, quite intoxicated with this brushed aluminium machine!
chrisp

Postby Guest on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Thanks VERY much to the OP for supurb report and later reports.
great forum

Postby Willie on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:13 am

StridaEvo-London wrote:I have just fitted Schwalbe Kojak and dropped the Innova stock tyres as these faster and lighter and reducing the overall bike total back to 13kg even with the addition of the brooks saddle. So highly recommended but also handling is much better.

This is a very good review and summary of the Strida EVO. I agree with many of the observations here - now at start of 2018! (I purchased my EVO in Q1 2017) and only saw this now....

Thanks for the tip on tyres - I will plan to swap mine out to Schwalbe Kojak and drop the Innova stock tyres.
Willie

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Willie wrote:...I will plan to swap mine out to Schwalbe Kojak and drop the Innova stock tyres.

As the Schwalbe Kojaks are so far also my personal favourites I'd like to add a few hints here:

- Please keep in mind that Kojak's can be dangerous on wet or sandy road surfaces.

- Kojak's are not that puncture resistant, if possible add a spare tube to your bike-bag.

- High pressure tyres work best at their upper pressure limit (at least I think so); that means the ride is really hard but the rolling resistance very low.

- Kojak's are a bit smaller than the Innova's; therefore is the gear ratio lower and it is easier to pedal - but in fact you are riding slower (at the same cadence) than with Innova's.

- Don't really drop the Innova's - better you keep them for the bad weather months.
And nothing is more easy than swapping tyres on a Strida - compared to most other other bikes :wink:

- Even lighter than Kojak's should be Panaracer Minits Lite PT; they are very rare in Europe and most likely in Asia easier to find
(The search terms "Birdy" or "BD-1" are perhaps helpful.)

http://www.ikd21.co.jp/ikd/items/i536.html
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Postby Willie on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:42 am

Hi Chris - thanks for your tips on the Schwalbe Kojak.

I ordered them and they should be in within the next week. Keen to fit them on and will update the forum. :D
Willie

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Willie wrote:...Keen to fit them on and will update the forum. :D

During that, if done correct, you will notice that these tyres are so soft that you should be able to put them on just by using your hands - without tyre levers 8)
Blackstridaaustria

Previous

Return to Riders Reports