Strida News Strida Forum About Strida Strida Reviews Where to Buy Photos & Videos Other Folding Bikes

need your advice on which one to buy

The place to report and discuss your experiences of owning and riding the Strida. Perhaps your first impressions, or your story of a big trip.

Moderators: newcross, Amuro Lee, Binch Shin, Blackstridaaustria

need your advice on which one to buy

Postby ivanesque on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am

hello hello, happy good people of strida! :D

i'm new on this forum, just registered. i live in the uk where i already have a bike (electra townie 3i) but now i want to get myself another, folding one - and hopefully take it with me to belgrade where i come from to have something nice to cycle around over the summer :lol: belgrade is hilly and not always bike-friendly, so strida seems ideal - foldable, easy to take on buses for longer distances etc.

so, i know that a similar question has been asked and answered, i've read it, but i still need your advice.

1) am i right that the only models one can find in the uk are basically strida sx and strida mas? can anyone recommend a good distributor? i found three online, and the prices differ.

2) the price difference between sx and mas is not insignificant, so people who've had a chance to ride both - what is your opinion? is mas better since it has 2 gears? my current bike has 3, it serves me well, it's been ages since i had single gear... i'm really curious.

'strida evo' is supposed to be launched, but god knows when that will happen, also, it might be a while until it becomes available in the uk and will probably be very expensive - am i right? (in which case, i would not like to wait...)

also, in your comments please bear in mind that i'm no bike-expert as many people here seem to be, so i might be unable to understand a jargon that is too technical :roll: - plain english and first-hand experiences of riding both in places that are not so flat please! :)

many thanks,
i.
ivanesque

Re: need your advice on which one to buy

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Hello ivanesque,

at Stridaforum!

ivanesque wrote:1) am i right that the only models one can find in the uk are basically strida sx and strida mas?

Shouldn't also the LT version be available at your region?

For example here

http://www.bikefix.co.uk/shop/

http://www.velorution.biz
(Guess velorution used accidentally wrong pictures.)

ivanesque wrote:2) the price difference between sx and mas is not insignificant, so people who've had a chance to ride both - what is your opinion? is mas better since it has 2 gears?

I mean it's simple: The more gears, the better for hilly roads :D

ivanesque wrote:'strida evo' is supposed to be launched, but god knows when that will happen, also, it might be a while until it becomes available in the uk and will probably be very expensive - am i right?

Hard to tell without crystal ball, but if the price forecast of ~ 900 GBP here was correct, it might be worth to wait :roll:

Come on ladies and gentleman, can we have more comments for our new member, please ?
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Postby one_half_3544 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:22 pm

ivanesque wrote:2) the price difference between sx and mas is not insignificant, so people who've had a chance to ride both - what is your opinion? is mas better since it has 2 gears? my current bike has 3, it serves me well, it's been ages since i had single gear... i'm really curious.

Mas has more gears, but it is heavier and requires more (well, at least certainly not less =)) maintenance. Which is better? You should decide.
Try riding your regular route without shifting gears. Try the same in the hilly area.
For reference - gear ratios for different strida models are listed here.
one_half_3544

Postby ivanesque on Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:43 pm

thanks guys! :D

i think i will pay a bit more and go for strida mas. the best prices i've been able to find are at
'the bicycle man' - http://www.thebicycleman.co.uk/folding-bikes-8-c.asp.

if anyone has some better leads for the uk distributors, please let me know. i'm going to a conference tomorrow, will be back in a week and hope to be able to sort things out and get my bike soon afterwards - looking forward to it so much :lol:

i'll keep you posted

best,
ivanesque
ivanesque

Postby Blackstridaaustria on Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm

ivanesque wrote:i'll keep you posted

We're looking forward in eagerness :mrgreen:
STV@gmx.org
StridaTuningVienna

"Who knows nothing, must believe all." *

[* line from "Aphorismen"; Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach, Austrian poet, 1893]
[* book title; Werner Gruber, Austrian physicist, 2010]
Blackstridaaustria

Postby Chester_Tan on Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:00 am

Hi Ivanesque,

The MAS edition or the standard edition SD is well suited for hill climbing. I tested it myself on an uphill road and was very satisfied with it. I biked the same road several years ago using a road bike and had a hard time and was even reluctant to use a small folder like the Strida. but the SD's low gear did help me with the climb (8 km - 10 km)

I have this project of upgrading another SD to 18" wheels and bike the same road this August.

Here are other advantage of having a MAS
- No need to upgrade to alloy pedals
- No need to upgrade to alloy chainwheel

Personally I like the black crank arms , black kick shift plate and the black hubs of the MAS.
Chester_Tan

Return to Riders Reports