MK2 Belt moves outward off rear pulley

Just bought 2 used Strida MK2’s I believe and took apart and cleaned relubed wheel bearing/brakes as they hadn’t been used in a long time. Wheels spin freely now but belt moves outward and off rear pulley stopping pedaling. Tried resetting belt tension but that doesn’t seem to help. Is there an adjustment addressing horizontal orientation of the belt on the rear pulley? Thank you for any suggestions.

As far I know is the rear pulley of older Strida versions (3 and below) part of the hub - and therefore no adjustment possible.
For my understanding there is just one chance to “tilt” the pulley out of the beltline,
and that’s (enourmous) wear at the axle-wheel connection respectively at the opposite side of it (axle stump to bottom tube).

Thankyou, I’ll try to assess that, its only happening on one of the two bikes

I isolated the problem to the rear wheel, the belt moves away from the wheel when pedaling and stops the forward movement. I’m going to try taking the bearings out and clean them and see if that helps

Perhaps you can find hints in the Strida 1 manual, I believe 1 and 2 are not that much different (?)

http://issuu.com/mark77a/docs/strida1-owners-manual

Good luck…

Thanks for the suggestion, I found that when I took apart the rear wheel and reinstalled it making sure to hold the wheel what appears to be the correct alinement as I tighten everything that I get the correct belt position. That worked with one of the bikes, I’ll try the other one this weekend.

The belt kept pushing outside and pushing the flange off the rear pulley. I considered getting it welded on but instead I secured it using JB weld epoxy and that seems to be working. If it holds securely I think I’m in good shape, if it doesn’t I’ll see if I can get a welder to secure it.

Hmmm…well…sorry, but I can’t comprehend what’s going on here - would you please help me to understand?

As I had never a plastic wheel of this generation in hands I’d really like to know if these are principially identical with the Strida 3 metal wheel version. Could you tell if the following technical details apply to your plastic wheels, too?

The flange of the pulley is not just a flange; actually incorporates this part also the brake drum.
The brake drum was secured inside of the hub (which is not separable from the pulley!) with six rivets:

One can see the heads of the rivets at the other side of the hub:

So, at least for my understanding, there is no chance for the flange to move - except:

• The rivets are broken (seems unlikely)
  • The flange was separated from the drum “bowl” (seems even more unusual because this part is one massive steel sheet)

Besides of above mentioned: I think the flange can’t be pushed off the rear pulley - there is simply no room to do that.
Consider that the flange is extremely close to the frame - you need to see that vice-versa:
The pulley can be pushed of the flange (drum) - but not the other way!

However, even if there are zero rivets inside of your rear wheel should it still perform well (just the brake won’t work :smiling_imp: ).
Inside of the hub should be bearings and a spacer, this parts again are secured by the wheel bolt (+ washers and locking mechanism) -
possibly there are parts missing or defective at the left side of the rear wheel…

Hi, thanks for posting in response to my problem, I just saw your post. Mine is older and looks different. The flange is just what the manual says is peened on to the pulley. I cant do it tonight but I will take a picture of it hopefully tomorrow and show you. It seems like peening it back on to secure it now longer secured it adequately. Thank you, Pete

Hi Pete,

thank you for explaining :smiley:

Meanwhile I’ve found something at the page of our dear Russian Strida brothers

http://club.strida.ru/strida-1986/

It seems that this kind of pulley was created also of at least two, more likely even three, single parts (I think). First a flat stamped steel flange with six holes for the bolts, vice-versa the outer flange/brake drum bowl and between these - maybe clamped - the molded Aluminium pulley part itself.
Would be interesting which way the brake drum and the pulley are connected - that can’t be seen at the pics?
Did you look inside of the brake drum, are there also rivets visible?
Best regards,
Chris

This one looks like mine that flange pops off to the outside and the belt moves out off the pulley, stopping the bike. Then I would take the wheel off and peen the flange back on but it wouldn’t stay on securely. So I thought of getting it welded on if that was doable but instead I used JB weld epoxy and so far that is holding and its working for me.

I took some pictures but I cant figure out how to attach/insert them into this message, I click on Img but cant figure it out from there

You may either

• follow the advice here
    or
  • send your pics to the address below.
    I’ll resize and upload them, afterwards it’s easy to assign them to your account.
    You can edit the post later and add text, but you need to be logged in!

Many thanks for the pics; surprising to see that the “bolts” are in fact headless :open_mouth:

The pulley’s teeth are looking good it seems - I guess it wasn’t ridden that much?
There are just a few little marks across the surface but the tooth shape is fine.

Thanks a lot for helping me out with the pictures, I think the previous owner and his wife didn’t ride them much because of that problem I was having at first with the flange coming off the pulley and the belt moving off the pulley and stopping the bike, The epoxy is holding so far, if it comes off I’ll see if a pro can weld it on there permabantly, thanks again for the help