Keep Strida Original - say NO to Fakes!

Just a quick report on the SLO - now over 1 year old… Still going strong and has required no maintenance since last report.

Still rides well and does everything it needs to do perfectly!

ringo

I have just purchased a fake on Ebay
cgi.ebay.com.au/A-Frame-Folding- … 27ad03568a
I will see it some time this coming week.
it cost $200 Au. a genuine Strida sells for around $1000 here.
I am pretty heavy, and am a little concerned as to how the SLO will handle my weight… time will tell I guess.
I will keep you posted… Trev.

Trev

Good luck and welcome to the SLO (Strida Like Object) Club.

I have had my SLO 13 months. Like you, I am on the heavier side. Six foot and 14 stones of Prime Pomme!

Only problem I have had was the rear wheel (which needed replacing with a genuine one). I found I was breaking a lot of spokes with the copy wheel. Also one of the pedals has started to make a noise - so I think that’s on the way out!

Other than that the bike has given loyal daily service for 13 months now.

I received my SLO today, quality looks good, it came with a bag (which may last the week if I am gentle) and some tools.

I will keep you posted… Trev.

I have ridden my SLO home from work (to my bus stop), a distance of just under 3 miles twice. it feels a bit “loose” to me (workmate reckons it flexes a lot when watching from behind), and the belt seems to jump if I pedal too hard. I do find the bike to be a little nervous/ difficult to control.
One of the folding pedals has expired already, it fell on the road.

I really dont think that this is the folding bike for me… to be fair though, I am at the heavier end of the spectrum, with someone lighter, the bike would be a better thing.

I will fix the pedal over the week end, probably replace them with stubby pedals… I will also be looking for a more sturdy folder.

Trev.

To be fair, the bike is a cheap knockoff, not a genuine Strida, and it is not all bad, The way the Strida like object folds is brilliant, it caused a lot of interest when I had it at work, with all comments being positive, but like everyone else I have shown or talked about Strida to, nobody was aware of its’ existance.
Trev.

I’m wondering if this site is legit.

stridabikeshop.com/

They are selling 5.0’s for $480 and they have a normal cream color one.

They sell genuine bike, good quality, I bought one from him, good

Did you end buying from this merchant?

Mmm… the domain is from China:

whois.domaintools.com/stridabikeshop.com

Thanks! I’ll pass.

…please read this statement of Ming Cycle, dated 10.06.02…

sanbadasports.com/board/anno … asp?Idx=57

Best Regards

Thanks, also on the main Strida.com website:
strida.com/en/news/?method=detail&aid=85

The buttom tube of an SLO broke suddenly when the owner riding it on a cycle path.

Source:
http://www.discuss.com.hk/viewthread.php?tid=12465321

By the way, the same SLO appeared at the event of Ride of Silence in Hong Kong this year.

Amuro, do you have a photo of this damaged bike that shows the steering pin where the bottom tube joins the front tube? The reason I ask is that my real Strida recently suffered a very similar break. In my case, the pin was angled back at about 45 degs.

No, I don’t. Sorry! :neutral_face:

cgi.ebay.de/FUNLETIC-KLAPPRAD-kl … 765wt_1137

Is this thing legal in the EU?!?

Probably not ! … it will NOT pass EN spec’s !!

I guess Ming will ‘zap’ them soon :mrgreen:

I fellow commuter bought a Funletic (http://www.funletic.de/) about a month ago.

Guess what? The frame broke this Tuesday while he was riding on the thing in heavy traffic :open_mouth:

Sadly, I was misled by the seller that my SLO really was a legit STRIDA when I purchased it back in 2009. When one of the pedals failed shortly after purchase, the seller was not to be found. So over the years I’ve replaced several components with legit STRIDA parts or at least better than the chinese knockoff parts that were original to the SLO.

Looks like I will have to be diligent in doing a pre and post ride check of the tubes to ensure that I don’t have a catastrophic failure. So thank you fellow forum members for making these posts.