Greetings all.

Thanks again to all the moderators for the wonderful work they do on removing spam. I’d just like to clarify the setup of the board (without giving away information that would help the spammers!)

I did extensive research and installed the best spam blocking mods available for phpBB2.

The standard signup system has been altered with a mod that has been totally successful at blocking spambots.

Another mod stops over 99% of guest posts by spambots. Sorry, I don’t want to block guest posts totally because that would put off a lot of genuine users from contributing.

What none of you see is the roughly 1000 attempted spam submissioms and registrations every day (and still increasing)!!!

Recently, phpBB3 has been released and is supposedly safe from the spambots (but for how long?) I’m not going to convert this board until that is proven though. http://www.foldingforum.com uses the new phpBB, and so far has no spams although it’s quite new. Let’s see how things go over the next few months.

I think you can never totally eliminate spam without inconveniencing the genuine users too much. Hopefully I’ve got the balance right here, but I welcome any further comments on this topic.