Evo 3 gears broken

Hi Bill, Chris,

thanks again for the quick replies. Bill, I think you helped me out once when I had this ball joint pop out and I visited your site while trying to fix it myself. I was helped by someone in the live chat there, I presume it was you, so thanks for that too.

I’m not expecting 100% reliability. I do not like that the bike is referred to as zero-maintenance, when that is not true, but I am not stupid and I understood that that was not exactly true when I bought it. But I have to wonder what the failure rates are here. How often does a gearbox just break? In most industries failure rates are expressed in ppm, i.e. parts per million. Would that be the appropriate unit here? If so, your Belgian friend might want to play the lottery. If, on the other hand, three failures (like his) are something that can happen and are shrugged off with “nothing’s perfect”, then I do not think this product is worth its price.

I hate to be aggressive about this, but I am genuinely surprised by the reaction of two professional strida sellers (which has been courteous and helpful!) to what seems to be a systemic problem. Just imagine that the same thing would happen with a new car.

Anyway, I do mean my thanks for the help. Let’s see how the warranty works out.

Thanks,
Mathijs