Strida vs. Brompton?

The point of this thread is to give user feedback to people who — like me — hesitate between the Strida and the Brompton. The reason I posted is not to denigrate the Strida, but because there isn’t much feedback to be found on the Net.

I disagree, because both bikes are sold here, so it’s a legitimate issue.

The fact is that, over here, the EVO 16" is not much cheaper than the Brompton, altough the Strida in manufactured in Asia (Taiwan? China?) while the Brompton is manufactured in expensive London and brazed by hand, so you would expect the Strida to be significantly cheaper.

Yes, and it’s a major drawback. Backpacks on a bike aren’t fun.

Yes, and that’s why I’m very happy with an IGH and will not go back to derailleurs for city bikes.

Being unable to backpedal at a stop without changing gears is especially annoying in the city, where riders have to stop/start often, and sometimes have to brake fast to avoid obstacles → stuck in the wrong gear. I’d much rather have a Nexus with a speed shifter… but it might not be possible due to the wiring involved (di2? :stuck_out_tongue: )

The point is that even the EVO might not provide enough gear inches depending on where you live. OTHO, the Brompton offers up to six speeds if you need.

It’s not what I read: Shorter wheel base = less stability.

I was not talking about the handlebars, but the distance between the center of the handlebar (or stem, if you prefer) and the saddle: It’s too short, and can’t be changed.

Yes, but in real life, streets have speed bumps or even potholes.

It is because the Strida is said to be simpler to fold/unfold than a Brompton. I had to check Youtube to make sure I got it right, especially to unfold the wheels — once they’re firmly attached, they can be hard to separate if you don’t know how to.

Yes, it’s a disadvantage that Marathon Plus are no longer available in that size. From experience, is the Innova as reliable?

Absolutely not: I’m very happy I found a second hand EVO 18", so I could give it a thorough try and compare it with the six-speed Brompton I’ve had for a few years now. I think I’ll sell it back in the fall, but it’s a good opportunity to test it seriously.

Honest criticism != trolling.

Feedback from another user:
bikeforums.net/showpost.php … stcount=27