Broken bottom tube: why?

Hi StridaD

What symptoms did you find before the tube broke?
Hope it didn’t go whilst you were riding.

I have had numerous problems with my Strida, and have battled with getting it right again after taking it for a service at one of only two distributers in the UK.

One of the things this company did was spin the “BB” around (i think thats what it is referred to, i would refer to it as a crank, though i might be wrong!!), the reason they did this is because the crank would not tighten up and keep loosening, therefore the belt would always be loose (had no problems for 8 months before this service).

Since they have done this , the bike unfortunately has not been the same.

I had originally taken the bike in for a broken spoke on the back wheel, but i thought id get the service done at the same time, my mistake.

The back wheel was never trued properly, and had been back to the same place several times with broken spoke in a very short period of time.

I quite recently bought a set of 18" wheels, with the metal freewheel, as i had enough of broken spokes, but now im facing a new problem, im now hearing a squeaking noise from around the crank/pedal area.

QUESTION:

Could this be

A) My Metal pedals making the noise
B) The bottom tube about to snap
C) the “BB”(crank) giving up due to more pressure being exherted due to the upsize of the wheels?

Any answers would be great, i do love my Strida, thing is i have not owned it from new (bought on eBay) and im not sure i’d be covered for the frame if it was damaged.

Unfortunately, It has of late been giving me more pain than pleasure.