My Strida EVO

Correct, nobody knows exactly which grease to use…

Anecdote from Germany:
A good friend showed the Sturmey Archer document to his workstore and forced them this way to change the grease of his drive.
Of course they didn’t read it before and were surprised, but they managed the task.
Unfortunately it’s not 100% clear which lube they used - my friend was told “common bike grease”.

…and there is one more problem; the drive has to be disassembled before greasing because there is no refill opening present.
Though I’d not recommend to open the drive without knowing before exactly what/how to do.

Hi Chris,

Just some comments:

I’ll do a full strip down service later this year with our Singapore distributor - see what they do and say. Stripe Down - as in remove every single part and re-lube every part before re-assembly. It costs not cheap but worth it on high mileage in my opinion - and let’s see how the KS3 goes. Alternatively, with the milage and enjoyment I am getting - I now have 2 spare KS3 gear boxes - really since the Strida EVO has been relatively maintenance free – if I was to compare this with my other chain driven bikes wear and tear and replace of components — if over distances it averages out for a new KS# swap out — it’s STILL worth it and not the end of the world. Look at the thousands we spend on cars… or hundreds to low thousand on those e-bikes — they have a limited life too.

So in short - it is what it is. If anyone reading this is worried about KS3 on EVO — get a Strida SX on 18 inch wheels - similar to 2nd gear on Strida. IMO only.

True. Whilst on one hand one could say Strida is not a cheap bike (compared to made in China generics etc) - it’s actually VERY cheap compared to other branded bikes like the Birdy, Bromptons etc - and they don’t even have the Kelvar belt etc tech that I so love.

Thanks Chris. I just added an extra rear disc and subber repair kit to my spare parts. I didn’t know this – so thankyou.

Any other parts I should be looking at too? For now - Strida is still plentiful - so can always get a 2nd hand on eBay etc and strip for parts.

What happened to the other Moderators. Seems I discovered this forum quite late … everyone almost seems to have left… Hoping for many more years Chris… :wink:

Added Carbon Wheels and changed from the Strida 18" Innova tyres to Schwalbe Kojaks.

Special thanks to:
[]Bill from Strida Canada for the wheels. He has great customer service and recommend! He has a while selection of parts etc!
[
]Hello Bicycle (Singapore) - the local Strida distributor for helping me get the tyres and wheels on. Special thanks to Kenneth, Jun Hong and Peter.

They awesome - more riding on this little beast! :laughing:

This early morning I had the urge to cycle and also try out the new carbon wheels.

I never understood why some people say the Strida is only good for short distances! I ended up racking up 69.47km (43.2 miles) over 3 hrs 48 mins. Not at the fastest speed - I do need to content with road traffic in Orchard leading to Marina Bay before it’s a nice flat smooth run.

So from Orchard area - to Marina Bay Sands - to East Coast Parkway, pass Changi Airport and up to the NE part of Singapore at Changi Beach and then decided to go home and head to office for work! The below is the 69.47km trip (with U-turn @ Changi Beach and headed back to Orchard).

Summary Stats for the ride:

Took this pic along the Cycle paths on East Coast leading up to Changi Beach - in Singapore.

Did another 71.8km (44.6 miles) cycle ride on the Strida EVO this early morning.

I wont be posting all my rides but wanted to just show it’s pretty easy for long distance rides (it’s not a short distance bike).

Here below is a pic of my Strida out on a cycle run. :smiley:

So last week the local “Hello Bicycle” shop (yes that’s the name of the LBS!) had a 40% sale - and I also traded in one of my other less ridden 8-speed folding bikes… to well… end up with another Silver EVO Strida! HAHA! (they had matt black but looks weird with the upgraded silver handle bars…).

As I had stated before - I love the Strida EVO it’s a seriously fun and capable bike for my needs. I upgraded the steering kit, black Brooks Flyer saddle, red alloy chain ring, MKS detachable pedals, and carbon wheels… and since my other original Strida is going so well still… I decided to pack this bike away into the Strida bag.

It can be my spare bike for another day…

And into the bag it goes… and into my wardrobe! Another reason I love the Strida design.
In the pic below I placed my backpack so can see the dimension / size comparison.

Oh and I had a flat the other day – 45 Km from home. Thunderstorms hit and I was stuck. Folded the bike up and flagged a taxi home :smiley:

Otherwise I could had patched the flat, but I be sitting around under some wet make shift shelter with tropical mosquitoes for ages waiting for the pelting Thunderstorm to subside … or a very long 1.5 -2 hrs soggy and wet ride home… AH-CHOOOO!!! :open_mouth:

Hello All - just a quick post to yell out my 2 Strida’s are going strong - wait - my 2nd Strida is still in the bag brand new (unused). Original Strida now 2.5 years old. Pity I do not have a odometer to track the distance travelled.

3 speed EVO BB gear still working like a charm - was always paranoid of that gear system but I love the kick back and simplicity.

Changed the rear tyre - front wearing fine. Like most rear wheel cycles - the rear wears at 2x the rate…

Changed the freewheel as well - no issues. Still on original Kelvar belt. I estimate now 25,000+ of (km) travelled on this bike. Yes I have rear wheel squeak when going uphills - but in Singapore my route only has one mild hill.

I not done any other enhancements to the Strida EVO - I can’t think of anything else I CAN DO! Except the Efneo drive but I am worried that I don’t know how to install it and my local Strida distributor - well - I not asked and I don’t think they seen the Efneo kit. I wished I was in Canada and I can pay Bill Wilby a visit or Chris in Austria! :wink:

Happy Strida’ing all!

Thank you Willie for the compliment, have you read this and tried my fix for the rear wheel squeak?
Cheers, Bill
stridacanada.ca/strida-bikes-re … explained/

Hi @Willie I am curious about your front bag. Could you please tell me more about it? Is it handmade?