[SOLVED] Evo 3 : clicking noise and creaking noise

Hi Sunkisk-EVO3, did you check the rear spokes for a loose spoke?
Even with your test #1 I still would not rule out the rear hinge.
There is a lot of torque on that joint and loosening it may make it worse. Also if the hole is enlarged the axle and end cap will still move inside the tube.

Is there much damage to the tube from the sharp edge of the cup spring?

I would separate the tubes, clean and lubricate the nylon washer between the tubes, install the cup spring, try and replace the small washer with a harder 8 mm washer, I am sure you will find that the small washer is deformed. Strida put a light oil between the small washer and the cup spring and if that is all you have then do it, but it may not last very long. The Never-seez compound that I have in my upgrade kit is much better. Then locktight and torque the bolt. Let the locktight set for awhile and then check that when you fold the bike the pivot point is between the cup spring and the small washer.

Link to my post, you have probably already read it, stridacanada.ca/?p=3208
Link to the Never-Seez compound, bostik-us.com/sites/default/ … Choice.pdf

Cheers, Bill P.S. I have not seen a situation where a KS3 creaks but anything is possible

Yes, agree with Bill, you can’t be sure (at test 1) what the joint does while applying force…

My last idea were the pedals - I’ve learned that recently reading above mentioned post.

I think there’s nothing left over to creak…

There were actually reports about single broken KS3 drives, but these were not noisy; they lost their gear switching function.

I do not think that too low torque at the lockring may cause sounds - except torque is close to zero.

Thank you for your answers.

• spokes : no loose spoke
  • the external tube is damaged by the cup spring, but when I fold the bike, only the washer is moving. The sup spring does not move, neither the bolt.

I will check again the rear hinge!

Hello.
I cleaned and lubricated the rear hinge :

• nylon washer
  • axle

I noticed that the washer beetween the bolt and the cup spring was not deformed.
And when I fold the bike, this washer move, not the cup spring.

But I noticed that the axle has been damaged (is not smooth and has becomed black on an area of 1 cm by 2 mm). It seems there is a friction beetween this axle and the end cap of the tube.

And the creaking noise is still here :frowning:

Not tried to replace the washer with a harder 5mm one yet.

Do you know what are the 3 bolt on the KS3 for ?
Are they for tuning or do they need to be more tightened ?

:confused:

You didn’t take pics accidentally?
There shouldn’t be friction, the hinge should move smoothly without the spring load.

Seems that they hold together the two gear “covers” part 61 and 62 vice-versa.
Re: installing strida alloy chain wheel on stride evo
(62 not marked at the thread above, but you can find the part in the KS3 patent).

I’d not touch them…

Yes I accidentally took 2 pictures :slight_smile:

I underline that the red square at the left was not in contact with the other tube on my TEST 1.
And the creaking noise was here.

But the second red square (on the right) was in contact of course.

Thank you :smiley:

Well I don’t think that these small marks may cause the creaking.
Of course I’ve no clue where they’re coming (at the axle), the mark at the frame isn’t that tragical.

At the second pic (opening in a new tab will show it full size - for the other readers)
I can see a silver ring close to the cup spring’s edge - you will find the negative (a groove) at the outside of your bottom tube - am I right?

The washer is dead - no question…

Yes I can see the negative.
But on TEST 1, the cup spring was not in contact with the tube, and it creaked…
There was a space of 1 mm beetween it and the tube : this way :

Rear tube / 1 mm / nylon washer / bottom tube / 1 mm / cup spring / washer / bolt.

But maybe there was something wrong when doing the test.

I add a picture :

Is there a way to get your upgrade kit from France ? :slight_smile:

You loosened the bolt and separated the tubes - but how did you assure that the bottom tube doesn’t tilt while riding?

If you’re sure the spring didn’t touch the frame (and could therefore logically not creak - I do agree of course) there are two contact points left over:

• Axle to tube insert
  • Axle to tube hole

When you unmounted the bottom tube form the stump did you notice if the hole is much bigger than the stump?

If possible (without belt) you might try checking play without the insert…

Sorry, was writing and didn’t look intime…

Yes, sure, but I’d also recommend to take first a closer look at the tube hole.
And a new insert couldn’t be wrong, too…

Hello. No play beetween the axle and the tube :confused:

I’m really sorry but without having the bike in hands it’s always very hard to find issues…

Do you ride during winter?
I hope we can find help near you, but that may take some time…

As mentioned before, no problem to send you one of my kits.
Would be just a problem if it doesn’t help…

I’d change the complete rear parts group including insert and acrylic washer between the tubes.
Unfortunately the inserts are not in stock here and we’d have to order them.

Please find a few additional infos at your malbox :wink:

Hello,

Thank you a lot for you help and your proposal :slight_smile:
I replied to your on you mailbox.

I will try to analyse more in detail the problem with a third person with his/her ear close to the tube.
The objective is to be absolutely sure that it comes from the hinge.
And then come back to you.

Thank you very much.

:sunglasses:

Hello,

Well, today with a friend of mine we have confirmed that the noise is coming from the rear hinge.
So, maybe TEST 1 is still creaking because the hinge is not under tension (bolt not tightened).

:slight_smile:

Hello!

Starting to apply Blackstridaaustria kit today :slight_smile:

2 steps :
1- Removed the end cap of the bottom tube, to replace it by a new one
2- Used the grinding tool to remove the burrs, with the bottom tube in place

Will apply alcohol to clean after grinding.

Next steps on this evening :slight_smile:

I am also looking forward to seeing your results. From my experience that much wear on the tube would make some noise and the apparent movement might cause the belt to move out of alignment and come off. For anyone reading this who has missed my post regarding the Strida rear hinge, here is a link, stridacanada.ca/?p=3208

Cheers Bill

Well, I applied the kit.
Thank you Blackstridaaustria for sending it to me :slight_smile:

But the creaking noise is still here.
So the rear hinge is probably not in cause.

Btw I’m happy to have this kit installed so that the frame will not be damaged with time :wink:

According to me the remaining possibility is the KS3 internal system itself.
I may try to expect a replacement of it under warranty (5 years).

What do you think after all these tests ?

Hello

I come back with a great new : my KS3 has been replaced under warranty and … the creaking noise is gone! Vanished!

What a pleasure to ride silently :stuck_out_tongue:

By the way I do not know precisely what the problem was. It seems 2 little parts inside the drive were in cause.

Moreover, I notice that the natural clicking noise of the evo drive is less loud than before.