Xootr quick release rack on Strida

I believe most Strida owners would agree with me that the standard Strida rack is rather ineffective. Even with the newer alloy rack with built-in support triangles (see image below) there are very few panniers that can be used satisfactorily due to the rack’s diminutive size and closeness to the rider’s legs.

Determined to increase my Strida’s payload, I started searching for a replacement. Unfortunately, most quick release racks on the market either do not fit the unique geometry of Strida or would hang too long on the back if installed (not a problem really, but I do not fancy that peacock look). Worse, they often do not provide big enough support triangles/trapezoids either. After a protracted, on-and-off search, two sensible choices finally emerged: Xootr Crossrack and Basil BasEasy Carrier Rack.

http://www.xootr.com/crossrack-bike-rack.html

http://www.gazellebicycles.com.au/component/content/article/235.html

Since both are full-sized, they accept almost all bike bags designed for conventional racks. There is no heel or ground clearance issue, and the balance is good because of their central positions. After some thoughts I chose Xootr Crossrack for its higher load limit (11kg vs. 5kg) and adjustable rack angle. After using it for several weeks I can say confidently that it is a great addition to my bike and would recommend it to other Strida owners who also want a versatile bike rack solution.

While there are many possible ways to install Crossrack on Strida, I decided to place it right underneath the plastic seat base, with its tube pointing up.

This configuration puts the support trapezoid and attached pannier right behind the saddle—a natural placement in my eyes:

The configuration also allows enough clearance from the rear mudguard to support taller panniers:

If there are quick release buckles on your backpack’s shoulder straps, you may use it on Crossrack too (unbuckle the shoulder straps → loop them around the support trapezoid → re-buckle):

Sadly, Ortlieb’s QL 2 system, which is one of the few pannier attachment systems that work well with the alloy Strida rack (see prior post), doesn’t fit Crossrack tightly:

One last thing: If your seat position is low like mine, Crossrack’s base clamp may bump into your Strida’s head tube-bottom tube engagement pin when the bike is folded (should not be a problem for people whose saddles are set higher):

This would push the two wheels somewhat ajar. The bike, however, would stay folded and still can be rolled:

All things considered, I’m quite happy with the product. It’d be great if Ming Cycle can bring design features like these to a future Strida.

1 Like

If you encounter the aforementioned wheel problem and it bothers you (even though it does not affect folding and rolling), check out my post describing how to increase the distance between two wheels when bike is folded: Make wheels further apart when folded (redux)

I’d say put a Carradice saddlebag on your Strida. Carradice make a bracket that will bolt to the saddle rails that will allow for a saddlebag to then be attached.

workhard: I did look at several rail-mounted saddlebag supports on the market but none of them seemed to work with sprung saddles, such as my Brooks B67. Seatpost-mounted saddlebag supports, although can be used with sprung saddles, cannot be installed on Strida. :frowning: If anyone here knows of a rail-mounted saddlebag support compatible with sprung saddles please kindly share the info with us. Lastly, I often go grocery shopping with my bike, therefore the ability to carry a shopping pannier is important to me. For other Strida owners rail-mounted saddle bag support can be a great option. Thanks for the suggestion.