savings...

I have a Strida 5.0 and love it.

So, useful for those full train moments but… I have always found the 16-inch wheels a little scary down hill…

Of course, for £200-plus you can have the 18-inch upgrade, but since my bike only cost £350 in the first place I think its a little pricey…

Anyway… I had a little issue with the rear wheel the other day and upon inspection found it to be damaged…spokes, rim and tyre all write-offs really.

I had an old BMX bike that my son doesn’t use anymore (he has a shiny new mountain bike) and it has 18-inch rims.

So…

I removed the spokes carefully and swapped the Strida hub for the BMX hub then reassembled them…

After a little swearing when spoking, sweat as I trued the wheels and internet to get 18/1.50 tyres, I have successfully upgraded my 16-inch Strida rims to 18-inch BMX…

Total cost? £40…

My next project is … don’t hate me… adding a chain drive…

My idea is to put the big cog on the left and add a drive cog to the rear wheel bolted to those handy holes in the rear hub.

When I can work out how to add a chain tensioner to the fold up frame that won’t get in the way… I will add 6-speed gears too!

lol…

Not a purist am I?

Hi obiwan,

welcome to the Stridaforum!

I’m really surprised that you did not get problems with the spokes’ lengths at a different spoke/hub/rim combination?
As I am also about to start wheelbuilding, it would be very interesting to see some pics (and to know the rim manufacturer and type)…

Usually, as far as I know, a tyre bigger than 18 x 1,35 does not fit a Strida because it would touch the frame.
Please could you tell us how you did the trick?

Hi thanks for commenting on my rant!

I used the same spokes from the 18-inch bmx wheel…then I copied the pattern on the Strida-it is not exactly the same, but it works:-)

I did have a new 18-1.75 tyre but it hit the frame… however, I got these 18-1.50s off the net- and they work a treat…

I wish I had taken pics as I worked…but I am a bit manic when I start a project…

I will def take pics of my chain conversion !

Many thanks for the detailed pic.

You spoked 24 spokes in 36 holes, why not, it works :smiley:

But I have to mention that 33 % less spokes means x % less stability

AND

an 18" Strida front hub has 20 % and the rear hub 35 % more flanges width compared to a 16 " hub (which also means x % less stability).

That’s not to scare you, I would like to beg for your carefulness.

My opinion is also that a good, fully hand-built wheel (even with less spokes) will be better than the Originals… :sunglasses:

(P.S. Dear obiwan, if you would like to register, we could edit poster & pic…)