Too much noice while pedaling

So, recently I faced with the following problem: I was trying to climb on a steep heel, when the rear wheel locked. I stopped. Then tried to roll up the wheel by dragging the bike back and forth, after pushed on the pedals a little and the wheel got released.
Once I got home I tried to figure out if anything is broken but didn’t found anything. Just noticed that there is too much noise when pedaling.
After a few days I visited bike repair shop, but they said that they can’t identify a problem everything seems to be ok. The noise wasn’t so loud.
One more thing: I think that the bike is rolling worse now. I mean that I could go faster before the accident. Also, the pedaling feels to lose. Maybe I am overthinking…
Anyway, I recorded the sound of it.
Check this out: drive.google.com/file/d/14RNz_D … sp=sharing

RESOLUTION
If you don’t want to go through all the messages here is the answer:
The belt is too loose now, so when I’d applied too much force it went off and locked the rear wheel. To avoid such situations it should be tightened. The source of the noise is a snubber bearing (photo in the message bellow).
stridaforum.com/forum/viewt … =15#p11487

I’ve forgotten to mention the model. It is Strida SX

Hi kozlone,

welcome at Stridaforum :slight_smile:

Unfortunately I’m unable to comprehend what you mean with the blocked wheel.
There was nothing visible which could be the reason?
(Twisted belt?)

What about the belt tension; is it more loose or rather tight?

Is that a brandnew bike or a used one?

The freewheeling sound is normal, I’d say.

Cheers,

Chris

What I meant is the wheel wouldn’t roll. I can’t remember precisely what I did to release it, but it was nothing more than just a few attempts to roll the bike back and forth, and pushing on the pedals. There weren’t anything that blocked the wheel. This is why I was surprised.

Regarding the belt tension, here is a short video:
please have a look photos.app.goo.gl/VeQZW8h3GtLabkVb6

I’ve been using it for a year.

Yes, freewheel is ok. But I want you to focus on the sound when I’m rolling the pedals, before the distinctive sound of the freewheel (“trrrrr” if you will :smiley: )

I see many thanks!

The belt tension is most likely a bit too low and the freewheel teeth have partially shiny surfaces.

You must know that the freewheel, during ongoing wear, doesn’t loose just the matte surface - the diameter becomes also smaller logically.
Usually, the jumping of the belt over the freewheel’s teeth can be prevented by that small, odd sized ball bearing below the frame (part 389).
But sadly, the newer bearing bolts 386 do not allow any longer an adjustment of the bearing gap!
:confused:
(At the original Strida drawings you can still notice the older, recessed bolt version with an additional nut.)

That could be an explanation for the blocking of the rear wheel which is very hard to notice optically - a belt tooth caught between the bearing and a freewheel tooth.
(I don’t know if such happening would leave marks at the surface of the regarding belt tooth, possibly?)

First I’d try to tighten the belt (but just a bit!) and check.
If it happens again repeatedly I’d replace the freewheel.

Regarding sound; the sequence is very short if you mean the grinding sound shortly before the “Rrrrr”.

Seems like you are right! I’ve found a scratch on the belt.
ibb.co/WssJZQH

But why not adjusting the belt as it described in the owners manual?

I’ve just tried to adjust belt tension like shown in the owners manual p24, but I couldn’t move the bottom bracket. I haven’t applied a lot of force, because I don’t want to break anything.

Yes, you perfectly described it, thanks! Does it sound ok or not?

Does it mean I need to do the same?
stridaforum.com/forum/viewto … 9522#p9522

Not at all, please don’t!!

The procedure shown is one of the biggest mistakes in the manual!

Teaching the procedure without the use of a hook key does not make any sense!

There are just TWO possible situations which can occur while adjusting belt tension:

You face case 1:
The excenter is tight - and you need a hook key to loosen the big groove nut.
(You must tighten it again later.)

Case 2 would be that the excenter is loose (after loosening bolt 274 only)

• so you need a hook key later to tighten.

Solution:
Get yourself a hook key!

A least odd, I have definitely no idea what that may be.

And regarding your picture:
That scratch along the belt - I’d say that the belt left the freewheel also sideways.
Guess that was the edge of the bearing.

Not sure if I understand this. Could you please clarify what the “excenter” is?

Gladly - that is what you called bottom bracket :smiley:

However - that thingy where the crank shaft sits inside - it must be secured always with two other parts. This is the bolt at the underside AND the big groove nut left.
Securing it by just one of these both will not work!

Oh, OK :slight_smile: Now I got it, thanks.

So, I need to loose the groove nut and the bolt, then tight up the belt and return the groove and the nut back in place, right?

After adjusting belt tension, to start the tightening procedure I’d recommend first to tighten the bolt.
(I do not remove the hex key yet.)
Second the groove nut.
(While tightening the groove nut it is very useful to feel at the same time the hex key with the other hand. The long lever is a perfect indicator to check if the excenter started unwanted rotation. If I feel movement at this moment I’d start the procedure again, but next time I tighten the bolt a bit harder.)
Finally, check tension once more.

Btw, it would be wrong trying to adjust the tension on a folded bike. :wink:

Hmm… I am confused a bit.

I’m guessing that it will damage the frame because the bolt is pressing down on the step which pressing on the frame. So, once the grooved nut moved it will move the nut with the step, and because they are pressing down on the frame it will be scratched. Am I right?

Many bottom bracket housings show deep scratches below the bolt 274 and washer 474 (respectively the kickstand plate if present) close to the slot.

Yes, if the groove nut is loose will the excenter sooner or later start to rotate due to the high pedaling forces.

I’ve adjusted that above, better now?

Just to make sure that we are on the same page:

1. Slacken the ring (or a groove nut)
  2. Slacken the bottom bolt of the excenter (or a bottom bracket)
  3. Adjust the belt by increasing the tension
  4. Tight up the bolt
  5. Tight up the ring

Is that correct?

P.S.
The source of that grinding sound was this bad guy
ibb.co/C6vvK7W
I’ve applied some silicone lubricant and the noise is gone.

Yeah that’s it!

It’s not wrong to exchange that fellow (snubber bearing) by chance,
the costs are manageable:
https://stridacanada.ca/product/strida-snubber-repair-kit/

Thanks! I really appreciate your help