Strida Mk1 serial number

Hi, I’m a newbie here. I just got my vintage Strida. By vintage I mean the first generation Mk1. My question is where do I see the serial number for this model? There are no more stickers on the body?

Hi orzalana,

welcome at Stridaforum :smiley:

Perhaps I’m wrong but I’m afraid that on these versions the serial number appeared at this mentioned sticker only.

Re: Strida Mk1, serial 008171, market value ?

flickr.com/photos/183362319 … 513285751/

Best regards,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I checked your link and my Strida looks exactly like that. Too bad all the stickers are gone on my unit. I noticed on the other photos (front wheel/handlebar tube) there’s some etched markings of some kind of numbers? Anyways, so it means there’s no other way to identify the year this was produced?

Other identifying marks are:

1. Pedals HTI-867
  2. White side walls tires (no brand) code number #KR8103
  3. Brake Levers (Sturmey Archer)
  4. Reflectors are made by Talmu Finland
  5. Seats by Viscount from Taiwan #2323

The owner I got this from said he originally bought it from Australia.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Best regards
Orland

Hi Orland,

as you got me with questions like that I had to forward your request to Mark himself :smiley:

Hopefully this is sufficient for you :wink:

Wow, thanks Blackstridaaustria.

You even got the main man himself, Mark Sanders to be involved. Say my thanks to him.
As for your answers I understand. And yes its more than sufficient to know that my unit was possibly made in Nottingham (or Portugal) which is one of the earlier sites this unit was made. Nottingham is special and I know because I also have a Team Raleigh road bike made in the early 80s.

As for the earliest makes, between 1987-1992 maybe its safe to assume this was made in 1989 :slight_smile:.
I managed to add more details to the MK1 unit like the tires below.

Other identifying marks are:

1. Pedals HTI-867
  2. White side walls tires (Golden Boy) code number #KR8103
  3. Brake Levers (Sturmey Archer)
  4. Reflectors are made by Talmu Finland
  5. Seats by Viscount from Taiwan #2323 with allen key (no marks)
  6. Plastic rear rack (No brand)
  7. Padded foam handle grip (this grip is still ok and usable.)

And luckily the top joint is still intact on this baby. I managed to get Mark Sander’s 3D file and printed and replaced the original. I will keep it as spare and for safekeeping. Because I know using this 30 year old bike is going to break that old plastic soon.

BTW, would you know if the newer QR seat moulding will fit on the MK1 unit?

Best regards mate
Orland

Hi Orland,

surely no problem, the master is very kind and helpful always :smiley:
And nobody else can reach his level of knowledge of these ancient bikes :exclamation:

You must know that my personal experience is limited to Strida versions from 5.0 upwards,
I’ve seen some MK1’s but never worked on these.
For this reason I can’t answer your question directly, sorry.

But gladly I’ll try to deliver some hints:

• We’ve tried successfully to use the common seat mount (of 5.0 versions, that one with screw clamps) on 3.0 version frames.
  • It seems that the MK1 frame tube (referring to the exploded drawings) has just one hole for the seat pin (instead of two at the newer frames).
    That means you can, most likely, use the QR seat mount, too.
    But also most likely you can’t expect the full range of adjustability, which is equal to that on a two-holed frame tube. The range will be cut on top and bottom, limited within the initial QR body height.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Once again thanks for the reply.
Yes. You’re right about the MK1’s single seatpost pin stop.
I better check out the later model’s dual seat post pin before getting the newer QR mounting for my MK1.

Thanks again mate and have a good day!

Cheers
Orland