My belt failed

So I’ve been talking to Bill at Strida Canada – super helpful gentleman and a reasonable source for another belt – and I should add more context.

I was riding to work when the belt slipped off. It was a close call but I managed to avoid a crash but the belt was all mangled with the rear wheel and brake. Bill’s surprise and now yours makes me consider the alternative idea that the belt slipped and the teeth were cut off by something. My first guess would be the rear disk brake. My thought earlier in the day was the the teeth sheered off and that caused the belt to slip.

I still had to get to work, so I worked the belt back on. I could only do so when using the sheered portion of the belt. That led me to believe that the teeth came off first. But now I’m not so sure. To give you an idea of how mangled the belt was, there is something rubbing when I roll the bike now. I bet the rear brake needs to be adjusted.

I’m not working on the bike now, so it’s hard to get a good profile view of the freewheel. Nonetheless, I’ve taken two more photos that view the freewheel teeth. I’ve also included a video of me pushing against the belt to give an idea of tension.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg2hgJDvtf4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link