Strida hidden power electric Kit

[size=150]Preview Hiddenpower Strida kit (no PAS)[/size]

Dear readers,
if you’re interested in this drive - please help us with your feedback!

Wednesday last week I’ve picked up two Hiddenpower drives at the Viennese Hiddenpower office:

• One kit for Strida without PAS
  • One Standard kit with PAS

(The Strida kit with PAS isn’t ready yet, but - according to the Sales manager - it should be finished soon.
We’ve heard that the position of the PAS sensor is still in discussion.)

[size=150]Oversight[/size]

Most people don’t like to buy a pig in a poke; here’s how the kit looks:
Battery inside bag in the middle of the box,
drive and accessories were packed in four smaller boxes

Content box A: Hp drive + mount (shown here the Strida version)

Content box B: Controller

Content box C: Roller and additional parts

Content box D: Charger

Kept that short; higher resolution and much more pics of both versions are here:
low resolution
high resolution

The differences to the Standard kit are

• Mounting plate rotated
  • Shorter roller arm
  • Added spacer
  • Cable lengths
  • Shorter roller axle stump (freewheel)

The weights in gram
Battery 1500
Battery bag 50
Controller 200
Motor + mount (Strida version) 750
Motor + mount (Standard version) 785
Roller + accessories 125
Charger 310
Power cord 180

Cable lengths in cm
(In brackets the Standard drive)
Controller to battery connector 15 (10)
Controller to motor connector 37 (10)
Controller to throttle 135 (135)
Controller to PAS sensor - (40)

[size=150]Mounting[/size]

Actually I need to clear something first:
I did completely misunderstand the function* of the drives mechanic and mounted therefore the recoil spring in the wrong direction!

As there was no “real” application guide supplied I have a small excuse…
(The “guide” you can see in the high res album is actually just one sheet of paper, containing battery hints.
According to the sales manager was the translation of a detailed guide finished just one day after our purchase.)
So - naturally - there was some trouble in the beginning.
Once figured out how the parts belong together it’s very easy to mount the drive.
The mechanical parts are obviously of high quality and fit perfect.
Also noticeable: There are two different mounting plates; one for 16 and one for 18 inch.

[size=150]*Function[/size]

The roller is in steady touch with the tyre because the recoil spring is pulling upwards to a not defined position.
(Not defined because the roller - and the arm - can be rotated easily due to the weak spring.
Said in other words: The arm can “float” above tyre/rim ups and downs.)
So, if the motor is off, will the roller spin - but not the belt in the drivetrain to the motor because there is a small freewheel inside the roller axle stump!
Amazing size…

However, the spring is weak, therefore is the additional friction of the roller very low.

Once the motor is turned on will the freewheel engage, the roller bites into the rubber and the arm is pulled to a defined position.
Defined because there is an adjustable (on Standard) or a fixed (Strida) arrestor which is limiting the arm’s movement.
In it’s upper position is the roller pressed strongly (several mm’s) into the tyre - to achieve high friction for the motor torque.

Switching off the motor will disengage the freewheel, the arm will rotate clockwise and the roller-to-tyre pressure released; we’re again in the - still touching, but with less friction - undefined mode.

[size=150]Riding[/size]
Sorry, none of us wanted to ride the kit in the present configuration…
Too old/wise for that…

[size=150]Details[/size]

1. Dumb throttle
      Below the HP throttle compared to a common e-bike throttle, please note the dimensions (and working angles!) and especially one crucial detail:

There is no recoil spring foreseen in the HP version!
That means if you let it go, the speed control knob will stay in it’s current position until it is turned back manually to zero.
The knob does not automatically return to zero.

Out of security concerns, we mean that a speed control without automatic switch-off will be much too dangerous for the average customer.
In the present configuration, neither Mike nor me would sell this kit to anybody. Sorry. No way.
(Searching the web for an alternative throttle I had to notice that the use of a simple potentiometer seems not common. All found replacement throttles are using a different, contactless system with magnets and Hall sensors.
I’ve noticed also that the HP throttle is far away from being proportional - the motor will spin with full speed at an angle of maximally 90 degree, more than 270 are possible with common potis.)

1. Folding issue

If the Strida gets folded will the roller arm touch the front tyre - and act like a brake while pushing “her” forward, the steady touching roller doesn’t make that better.
Strida insider know it: “You shall not pull her”, but that’s sometimes necessary to arrange the bike in small places, with the arm (which is pulled in direction to his defined position) locking the front wheel it is impossible to pull “her”.
More for that at the end of the post…

1. PAS system
      Even if we didn’t try it by now we’re convinced that a system with just one magnet must be slow and dull.
      We’d appreciate here a change to a separable disc with at least six magnets.
    1. Brake switches
      Several interested people mentioned the importance of additional motor-off switches inside of the brake levers.
      We’d suggest to add this function for security enhancement and also to compensate the - technically caused - idleness of PAS systems.

Naturally, I’ve contacted already on Sunday the German speaking HP sales manager by mail.
We’ve also spoken about our concerns including suggestions box on Monday…it was a longer, for my meaning very friendly and constructive discussion…
I guess it will take some time to talk back with the Korean engineer team…as he promised…

During the last days I’ve tried to find solutions respectively replacement for the first two mentioned issues.
Unfortunately not successful in the throttle case; I couldn’t find even one suitable thumb throttle with a potentiometer…
Different in the folding issue:
By modifying one original HP part, adding two custom parts and a metric bolt I’ve created a simple locking mechanism.

Principially said: The drive became a second defined position; arm and roller are arrested in a certain position a few mm away from the tyres - and the wheels are free!
Of course, there’s no remote control - engaging works by turning the arm about 10 degree clockwise, disengaging by lifting a little lever for ~ 2 mm.
Neither material choice (Titanium, Brass & Steel), shape nor the mechanical function are perfect, but it works very well.

Dear reader…yes you…
Even if you’re not a big writer…we really need your opinion!
Please take a few minutes to tell us, especially about the thumb throttle - thank you!

Sincerely,

Chris

Wow really good work Chris.

I would not have done better myself! :smiley:

So If I summarize :

1- The HP throttle need to be changed by an “automatic turn back” throttle.
Too dangerous with the actual HP throttle.

The brake switch is also a really good idea : I think they aren’t so far…
Perhaps by setting up a cable to bypass the acceleration throttle with this brake switch, it would solve the problem quickly.

The brake switch system should be adaptable to Strida brakes easily.

2- Folding issue

What a pity!!! :frowning:
Chris: Are sure we can’t do anything to solve easily this problem?
Is there a way to move a little the installation of the HP kit to improve the movement of the wheel (and prevent the blocking effect) ?

3- PAS

Well… wait and see ! :sunglasses:

Hi Marsu, thank you very much :smiley:

1- That might work, all I know so far is that the motor won’t run if there’s no poti connected :wink:
(Once I’ve got a spare controller…you know…)

Imaginable would be here also that they want to imply the brake function later in the planned electric Strida (Ming/Hiddenpower cooperation).

2- Indeed…

Btw, the suggestion we got of HP - to use mudguards - seems not very useful for plastic fenders,
because they will bend…and interfere again with the tyre…

Please take a look downwards to your bottom tube and notice the two bends between rear wheel and bottom bracket.
The clamp for the drive is mounted close to the middle of the first bend.
It’s impossible to move the clamp along the tube without changing the angle of the drive axis - not good!
Even if you would compensate the angle issue by a custom mount adapter plate
(which is surely possible, but senseless)
there will be no difference in the original two position (one certain, one a bit insecure becouse of touching an untrue wheel) function.
And if you move the drive far (that means in this case a few mm’s!) away from it’s original defined position -
then it will not work properly any longer due too much (or less) pressure on the tyre!

The drive must be in a certain position which is given by:

• The arm length
  • The roller diameter
    for the length, and sideways by
  • The distance rings of the motor
  • The length of the roller axle

That means otherwise the longer arm and the longer roller axle of the Standard version might match…
so far I’ve no idea what’s the reason for the shorter Strida version arm.

Did you also notice that all the older HP + Strida pics are showing the longer arm?

3- Just to mention it:
Before anybody figured out if the controller/sensor is principially able to handle (much) more signals per revolution it would be meaningless to work on multi-magnet sensor encoders.

Hi Blackstrida,

You mentioned a Ming/Hiddenpower cooperation : is it true ? (not an april fish ? :laughing: )

For your question “Did you also notice that all the older HP + Strida pics are showing the longer arm?”

Yes indeed.

So what can we “manufacture” for this problem? :unamused:

Do you have any news towards HiddenPower company?

Marsu

Hi Marsu,

they’ve claimed that several times, no fish…
But you might ask Ming, I’d be very curious about their official reply :smiling_imp:

At the moment I’m looking for a laser cut company which could manufacture a reliable stainless steel spring for the folding mechanic.
The potentiometer replacement (and recoil spring mod) will be definitely much more work.
I mean the cheap poti should be replaced at this opportunity by a sealed hq version (even if they are very expensive; ~ 15 € each).

This weekend we have a very big bike event here in Vienna:
http://www.bikefestival.at/
Yesterday we contacted again the HP sales manager;
he promised to appear tomorrow with the company-owned Brompton (hiddenpowered of course).

So, I’d recommend to hurry up for meeting us tomorrow afternoon at Mike’s booth Nr. 50!

Bikefestival Wien Rathausplatz/Map and exhibitor list

Guess who wasn’t there…well, called again…he meant tomorrow afternoon…

:unamused:

I am very interested in a friction drive kit…I like the Kepler design…Has anyone tried to contact him…or knows how to get in touch with Kepler directly…

His design is about as good as it gets with the retraction of the friction drive, size, weight etc…

I have patented several automotive products over the past 15 years and currently have a production facility that manufactures my patented products…

I would be interested in a licence agreement with Kepler for manufacturing rights to produce the friction drive in mass quantity, but also a specific kit for the Strida…

If anyone here knows how to get in contact with Kepler…Please forward my #…1-800-480-7390 ext 6

William

Hi William,

guess it should be possible to reach Kepler via
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/index.php
Your message was already forwarded via ES private mail :wink:

Thank you…

William

Hello William,

would you please login and go to your mailbox (upper left corner)?
There’s a message from Kepler waiting for you :smiley:

Sorry…Just saw the post…

Thank you for your Help…Kepler and I are in discussions…With, his permission, I will let the board know what the out-come is on manufacturing a dedicated Strida drive here in Canada/Florida Keys…as well as offering the Kepler drive for other bicycles…

1…The drive has to have automatic application and retraction in the friction drive function
2…The drive has to be as compact as possible and light as possible
3…Installation of the drive has to be as quick or quicker than folding the Strida
4…The drive installed cannot interfere with the fold of the Strida
5…I think single battery packs are the way to go as on the Kepler…with a simple plug in for quick exchange, if you need more range, just bring more battery packs in a back pack
6…I think 20 mph on a Strida is plenty fast,and the system should focus on range more than speed…so 15 to 20 would be the suggested speed…

I own a factory folding ebike and as wonderful as It is…It replaced my car when I am in the Keys…I
could not take it on public transport as It was far too heavy, big and clumsy to deal with…and my bike was one of the better folding ebikes in the market today…so I would take the car to Key West etc…until I bought the Strida…The only bike allowed on the US1 city bus…The only bike when put in a hard shell golf bag like the vault…Is free to put on a airplane…if they mention the wheels…say yes…Its a golf bag cart…The Strida, when folded looks exactly like a golf bag cart…

If the Strida had the qualities of my current ebike but remain every bit a Strida, light, nimble, easy to fold with the power drive attached…I could pretty much park the car 25 days out of the month…

I live in a modern Condo with a massive amount of rules and regulations…One of the restrictions… Bikes are not allowed in the hallways or the glass, stainless steel elevators…and for good reason…If you do so and you are caught…they fine you 1,000.00 dollars…The bike racks that they install in your parking spot cost 595.00…per Bike…Might as well buy a Strida…With the Strida Bag…they are classified the same as a Golf Clubs…so they are allowed in the hallways and elevators of my Condo…

Thank you for your help

William

Hi William,

no reason for thanks, naturally I’m also interested to see an alternative Strida drive on the market.

Good points, just nr. 3 seems not realistic to me (or maybe I misunderstood something):
Al least the proper diversion of the throttle cable will take longer than a folding procedure…
…or did you mean removal of the drive/battery unit only while leaving sensor and throttle on the bike?

And btw - throttle - which type do you (and Kepler) plan to use?

Good luck for you both!

Back to Hiddenpower:

No news at all…
Latest was from last Sunday as we met the sales manager at our festival (finally).
According to him should Korean technicians arrive Vienna last week…nothing since then…maybe I call him again today…

I was going to leave the thumb throttle and controller attached, was thinking thumb so I keep the awesome factory grips…

I go on a airplane almost once a month and my Strida comes with me…Lipo batteries are now considered hazardous goods…you cannot even ship them by ground anymore without the right authorization…Looks like Big Oil is fighting back with rules and regs…scared of the e-bike movement…I plan on keeping a battery pack in Florida and one in Canada…

After talking with Kepler, and Adrian, eboo.st…I looked over more than 20 patents on the designs…decided that a simple design cannot be patented properly…anyway, I moved forward and built one to try…Adrian’s site, eboo.st.com describes exactly what you need to build one…a single lever is all you need…I tried both…

The friction drive is powerful, very noisy and completely useless in the wet…so I am going to scrap this Idea as It rains often in Ontario Canada and especially in B.C…

I have decided to totally modify the Strida now…20inch wheels, chain drive with 5 gears and a Bafang mid drive…I would love to keep the belt but it will not be practical with a mid drive…The 20 inch wheels will not add much more weight…

I will keep you posted of my progress…

Your wish is my command :smiley:

1. A thumb throttle WITHOUT recoil spring will be anyway unsafe.
  1. The PAS System with just ONE magnet will be lame and imprecise.
  1. In folded position can the Strida not any longer be rolled along, the belt housing will interfere with the front wheel.
  1. Many customers are asking for brake switches.

Few months ago, I visited Australian Strida distributer to show my strida with hidden power kit.

There’s no hiddenpower distributor in Australia yet. So I need to import it personally.
I’m sure that mine is the only motorized strida in Australia.
I installed it by myself (got some assist via phone from the manufacturer)

You may see some pics and video.
facebook.com/stridabikes

Hello noongom,

at Stridaforum!

Well…that’s pretty interesting :open_mouth: are the two batteries the secret of the unusual speed of over 50 km/h :question:

Unfortunately the video link doesn’t work (perhaps because I’m not at fakebook?), is there any alternative link, please?

sorry I am new here. but I am really keen on this conversion kit. can anyone tell me where I can buy or install this to my strida??

thanks so much.
daryl
hp:98428258

BSA’s official statement:

HiddenPower E-conversion Kit converting Brompton bike into a (“hidden”) e-bike

Dear Brompton-friends!
Following growing interest and inquiries from customers/dealers we from the South Korean company HiddenPower would like to introduce our updated product, the “2015 E-Bike Kit for Brompton” to you.

2015 E-Bike Kit for Brompton – product information

• Having installed this HiddenPower kit, your bike will become an e-bike keeping the style and appearance of your bike. The kit is literally “hidden”.
  • HiddenPower’s conversion kit is ultra-light with only 2.6kg (including battery). Having approximately one-fourth weight over others it provides excellent performance at the same time. The rated power of the motor is 250W. For developing this unique and innovative technology HiddenPower was awarded the Gold Award for E-Bike at the 2010 EUROBIKE SHOW. There is no need of modification when installing our system on Brompton and there is no problem with folding & unfolding. The kit can be installed for Original Tire only (“Kojak tire” should be changed to “Original tire” since “Original Tire” has better efficiency). The system is easily to install with the help of basic tools like a wrench, taking only 30 minutes, for experts even only 20 minutes and is immediately usable after installation. While riding, PAS can be converted into Throttle Type, but not vice versa.

Quality and customer satisfaction

• The product quality & performance has been tested and certified in Korea, the country of origin.
  • Thanks to its high performance, durability, scalability, simple structure and prompt A/S customer satisfaction and usability are very high, especially among fastidious Korean customers, young people and high-end consumers!

Sales

• We are open to discuss the terms of any exclusive or nonexclusive distributorship with you.
  • Thanks to the ultra-light weight, the small size and easy installation, the e-Kit is perfectly suitable to sell online.

Additional Information
If you wish, we can provide the product guide. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if you have any questions.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!

Please watch attached videos.

Я поставил и мне понравилось ! Если есть вопросы отвечу с удовольствием !